Johnny Davis first began fielding the No. 4 car in what is now the Xfinity Series in 1983 with Joe Henry Thurman as the driver. From 1983-1985, Davis and Thurman competed in 41 races and earned one top-5 and seven top-10 finishes.
Although JDM has seen a sharp rise in on-track performance in the past few years, success is nothing new to this team. Years of good drivers and excellent runs have paved the way for what JDM is today.
Highlights from the history of JD Motorsports include:
- Mike Wallace drove the No. 01 for the team from 2009-2013 with three top-10s and a top-5, including his highly-televised near-win at Talladega
- Popular MENCS driver, Landon Cassill, raced with JDM 2013-2015 with 5 top-tens. In 2014, Cassill was 10th in Xfinity Driver points for the majority of the season
- The team has a total of 33 top-ten finishes, and a life-time average finish of 26.7
- JDM has had a driver finish in the top-20 of Xfinity Series Driver points 16 times
JDM has been steadily gaining momentum over the years, and the team is now the #1 non-Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Affiliated team in the Xfinity Series.
Highlights from the past four years include:
- 2 top-five finishes
- 17 top-tens
- 44 top-fifteens
- 27 laps led by JDM cars
- 5 races (2014 Darlington & Daytona, 2017 Daytona & Iowa, 2018 Daytona) with two JDM cars in the top-ten